Friday, June 22, 2012

Baby Robin Update

I am sorry to say that something killed our baby robins Wednesday. Because the parents built the nest in a bush that is surrounded by my flowers, I have not kept that area up because it was upsetting enough to them when I turned on the water. I saw that the babies were no longer in the nest, but there were several dead caterpillars in it that made me take pause and wonder if they had truly left the nest or if something went awry. Because the nest was empty, I set about weeding and trimming the wild mess that had grown about the bush, and much to my dismay, discovered bunches of baby bird feathers. They were so close to leaving the nest too; it broke my heart. I guess that is the circle of life, but so very sad when witnessed.

On a happy note, we have a Kildeer running around at the end of our driveway watching over her babies. It is so fun to see the tiny ones dashing about the yard in search of food. =D

No comments:

Post a Comment